Grub.conf?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue May 29 23:10:09 UTC 2007

Norm wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 14:37 -0700, Norm wrote:
>>
>>> Decided to set up a FC6/Ubuntu dual boot. box.  The Ubuntu part did
>>> not load properly can't get into it enough to edit the sudo or add
>>> remove any users, no problem just ignore it.  The catch is the Ubuntu
>>> parts are the default boot. when I go to the fedora grub.conf or
>>> menu.lst files there is no mention Ubuntu so editing the file will
>>> not do any good.  What file needs to be edited to boot from the FC 6
>>> grub.conf file.  As I plan to do a fresh install of Fedora 7 in a few
>>> days it probably does not matter in the long run but I would like to
>>> know which file should be edired to get back to the original FC6 boot
>>> configuration.
<snip>...
> ...but I would like to be able to find the file that needs to be edited
> to send the boot process to the fedora gtub.conf file.

So, just to be certain that I understand this correctly:
1. the ubuntu-installed grub is what is run when you boot your system.
This does not work?

2. You can access the installed fedora system.
I assume you are using a rescue disc for this?

if so, you can put (the first stage of) GRUB back on the MBR from within
fedora, which will then use your fedora grub.conf file
* boot with your rescue disc. Let it mount all your partitions
* chroot /mnt/sysimage
* grub-install /dev/hda (/dev/sda if you have a SATA harddrive.)
* exit
* exit
your system should reboot at this point. Hopefully showing the default
fedora grub screen.

Kind Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCSS RHCX STFU PDQ RIAA MP3