Slow video playback

Chu Tan chujtan at gmail.com
Thu May 31 04:04:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 12:16 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> Chu Jeang Tan wrote:
> > I've a 2.4Ghz P4 512k L2 cache with 768 mb ram
> >
> > I'm playing a WMV file that is relatively low resolution using
> > totem/gstreamer and livna plugins.
> >
> > The playback is relatively slow with fair amount of lost frames, say 20%.
> >
> > What can I do to speed this up? I've enough memory that I'm not swapping,
> > and I've disabled beagled.
> What are the internal specs of the media ? mplayer from the command line
> gives good info. Are you trying to stream or is the file coming from
> local storage ?
>
> DaveT.

Very choppy in totem/gstreamer. I am not sure if the overhead in totem
is in gstreamer or the decoder used by gstreamer. It plays perfectly in
MPlayer.

Info from mplayer.

Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffwmv1] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WMV1/WMV7)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 20.0 kbit/5.67% (ratio: 2501->44100)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))