send e-mail without use sendmail

Mail List lists at sapience.com
Thu Nov 1 00:12:34 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 12:14:07 pm Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:03:02 -0500
>
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > dnl # Uncomment and edit the following line if your outgoing mail needs
> > to dnl # be sent out through an external mail server:
> > dnl #
> > dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your.provider')dnl
>
> I never figured out how to make that work when the ISP's mailserver
> requires SMTP AUTH.  Not that I tried very hard, I suppose.
>
> Is there a way to do it?

   its very easy actually - the only trick is finding the correct host
name(s) - you may need to poke around a few times in dns to make sure you
have all the hosts/ip addresses. For each host that you may be forwarding to
add 1 line to sendmail /etc/mail/access file as follows (this is 1 line - the
mailer may wrap it).

So if you isp gave you smtp.isp.com do a 'host' on it and make sure you cover
all the ip addresses and the hostnames they reverse to - 1 per line.
#
# This goies in /etc/mail/access
#
AuthInfo:<ISP_MAIL_HOST or IP Address>  "U:<your isp user name>" "I:<your isp
user name" "P:<your isp password>"

then rebuild. Note if you haven't done so you will need to
yum install sendmail-devel

After editing (or creating the access file) confirm you have
FEATURE(`access_db')dnl
in your sendmail.mc

Then
# cd /etc/mail; make