send e-mail without use sendmail

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 04:02:07 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:

>> You must have a real domain name to send email.
>
> Is there any technical reason (other than "we hate spammers") why email can't
> be sent to an IP address instead of a domain name?
>
> I know that mail sent to joeblow at 123.456.789.001 doesn't work, but have never
> really understood why...

Mail is a special case in DNS since most organizations want delivery to
be directed to a small number of servers, so the host/domain lookup
always tries to follow MX records.  If you want to use a literal IP
address you have to enclose it in []'s to skip the MX lookup (and if you
are doing it on the command line, enclose in ''s because the []' are
shell metacharacters). mail 'joeblow@[123.0.0.1]' will attempt a
connection, but the receiving system may still not like it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com