send e-mail without use sendmail

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 1 04:51:09 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:05:11 -0500
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You must have a real domain name to send email.
>
> Is there any technical reason (other than "we hate spammers") why email can't
> be sent to an IP address instead of a domain name?
>
> I know that mail sent to joeblow at 123.456.789.001 doesn't work, but have never
> really understood why...

I think this is because TCP/IP is not the only transport mechanism
for e-mail. It is just the most common one now. Also, the same IP
address may receive e-mail for more then one host, or be a relay for
the real host. The host pointed to by the DNS records may be a
server that then forwards the mail to the "real" host using another
transport mechanism.

Mikkel