RPM

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Fri Nov 2 12:17:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 05:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 15:13 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> >>     OK. The book Maximum RPM does not even mention rpmbuild. For this
> >> function I think the early work was done with amanda. I expect most of
> >> rpmbuild is in amanda but not easy to check.
> >>

> > What does drive backup software (amanda) have to do with RPM?
> >

>     It is used in the making of rpm files. I didn't read it with care.
> But it is in Maximum RPM.

[BEEEP!] Wrong answer.

It is NOT used in the making of rpm files. The Amanda application was
used to provide an example of creating a (more complicated) package.

The first appearance of "Amanda" (page 276 of the printed book, page 367
of the pdf book) is:

	"So, without further ado, let's meet amanda..."

a statement preceded by the paragraph:

"In this chapter, we’ll package a more complex application that will
call on most of RPM’s capabilities. We’ll start with a general overview
of the application and end with a completed package, just as you would
if you were tasked with packaging an application that you’d not seen
before."

Please, Karl, attempt to be a bit less Authoritative when you are
clearly talking through your shirt-sleeve.

Andy