[OT] Digital camara

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Nov 5 09:56:37 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:
> Hi all, sorry for the OT, but as many people here have more knowledge
> then me on this topic I'll just ask.
>
> I'm about to by a digital camara and I was looking at a Panasonic Lumix
> with 5MP and 6x optical zoom.
>
> I tend to see the 6x zoom more interesting then having 7 or more MP, but
> I'd like to know if I should go for more MP or stay with the good zoom.
>
> Once againg, sorry for the OT.

There's digital cameras, and there's Digital Cameras.

I'm very happy with my Canon 30D which I bought just before it was
superceded by the 40D.

I'm not as steady as I once was, so I find the image stabiliser on the
first lens very handy. I regret that my longer lens, 100-300 doesn't
have it.

I was recently photographing in Victoria's Parliament House, using
available light (the Youth Parliament was in session, so no flash).
Exposures down to 1/5 sec seemed okay, doing nothing more than leaning
on available furniture.

It can focus through glass, which I think compact cameras cannot.

Best, it plays very nicely with Linux:-)

Now, the only problem _I_ have with Panasonic (and Sony) is that it's an
electronics company. The most important part of the camera is the glass,
without good glass the rest really doesn't matter.

I think some are sourcing their lenses from Leica. As a journalist
noted, I'd like a Leica, but they're too damned expensive.

Nikon, Canon, Olympus have been pretty much at the front in (consumer)
SLR and compact cameras in recent years, with Pentax and Ricoh not far
behind.

--

Cheers
John