Fedora 8

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 8 12:38:39 UTC 2007

Konstantin Svist wrote:

>>> Do you mean grub.conf was messed up (and pointed both installs to
>>> (hd0,5))?
>>    No! F7 is on an ide hard drive. F8 is on a SATA hard drive. But
>> alas, the boot partitions are both (hd?,5) and with my odd BIOS F7
>> was never selected. I will have to move boot to another partition on
>> either hard drive. Then see if it works.
>
> Oh, okay - that's not so bad then :)
> Grub is supposed to see one of the drives as (hd0) and another one as
> (hd1). These correspond to physical drives. If you have more than 2
> physical drives, it might be (hd2), etc...
> If you used the BIOS to switch between drives (selecting primary boot
> drive), then grub will probably change the names around, be careful!

    Yes the more I think about it, it has to be a BIOS changing. And I
know it does this and it can be because of the strange way they handle a
SATA hard drive. It really blew my mind for awhile. I was using # grub
root and setup again and again.

    I want to make F8 boot from it's own boot partition. I am doing that
with F7-64 bit on the SATA drive and it works just fine. To get that
seems to be the problem.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User