f8: NetworkManager + runlevel 3 problem

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 9 10:54:06 UTC 2007

Dario Lesca wrote:
> In F8 on a PC-A I have start NetworkManager + NetworkManagerDispatcher.
>
>>From another pc (PC-B), via ssh connection, i switch PC-A from runlever
> 5 to 3 via "init 3"
>
> Network is stop. my shell on PC-B stop work!
> grrrr!
>
> then I goto on console of PC-A and "service network restart"
>
> come back to my PC-B, my shell now work!
>
> do some work (in runlevel 3)
>
> then re-switch PC-A (via ssh from PC-B) to runlevel 5 via "init 5"
>
> Network is stop. my shell on PC-B stop work!
> grrrr!
>
> Is this a correct behavior?
>
> Is NM incompatible with runlevel 3 ?
>
> Thanks to all for your reply!!

Are you using static IP or DHCP? If you are using a static IP,
NetworkManager doesn't yet support it but will so shortly even possibly
within a Fedora 8 update. Refer

http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/

NetworkManager is a deamon that works fine in runlevel 3. There is no
fundamental incompatibility there though most people use it in a desktop
environment.  One of the planned features for Fedora 9 is drop the
inconsistency between the network service and NetworkManager service.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList

Rahul