F8 - upgrading impossible

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Sun Nov 11 15:01:29 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 12:05 +0100, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how F8 ever made it to a release.
> I tried upgrading 3 systems and 3 fail to upgrade due to installer issues.
>
> /sbin/loader issue (can be solved with some kernel options but it's needed on
> all my systems which is a bit of strange default).
>
> The worst though is a CPU usage of 100% at checking dependencies.
>
> Is there any solution available for this ?
> Reinstall is no solution to me, I'm looking for a way to upgrade via DVD.
>
> regards,
> Marcel

Same result here: 3 systems, all three hang at about 26% complete while
"resolving dependencies."  I let all three run for 24 hours.  Lots of
disk activity, but no progress.  I've seen quite a few folks posting
that they've run into this.

I don't have time (especially after losing a day) to dig into the code
and fix it myself, so I'm sticking with F7 for awhile.

-- Mark C, Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution