How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 11 23:19:58 UTC 2007

Chris G wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 05:32:29AM +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
>> Chris G wrote:

>>> I have tried:-
>>>     chris at localhost
>>>     chris at 192.168.1.1
>>>     chris@[192.168.1.1]
>>> and sendmail tries to send the *all* to the outside world!
>> Oh.
>> I have a freshly installed f8 box. I just did this:
>> [root at potoroo mail]# tail -4 /etc/aliases
>> decode:         root
>>
>> # Person who should get root's mail
>> root:           summer
>> [root at potoroo mail]#
>> it works, I did this:
>
> OK, but that isn't my situation.  My system is (quite validly) called
> home.isbd.net, I need to know how to make it work the same as yours
> for mail within the system.

my potoroo.demo.lan is very like your home.isbd.net, and that alias
works here. And I can send to summer at localhost.

A remaining difference I can think of is that I'm using DNS as I
described a while ago.

You are using a DNS (for outside users) and your hosts files, for
computers in the same domain. This is a setup I mostly avoid. I do do
that for herakles.homelinux.org, and incoming email addressed to
addresses in that domain get relayed inside my home network to another
system, and for that I need my own DNS with different information from
the public DNS.

> I need it to be called home.isbd.net so that the web browser sees
> home.isbd.net and I can ssh to home.isbd.net which both currently work
> correctly.

There is no necessary correlation between names the webserver uses and
the names the mail server uses to receive mail. Both can be configured
My mail server (running postfix, but sendmail does it too) can handle
mail for several domains.
I can ssh to 58.6.192.22, coco.merseine.nu, cds.merseine.nu and some
other names, it's all the same machines.

I don't normally use sendmail, it only gets installed when I do a manual
install and don't take the time to change software solutions.

I prefer postfix, I find it easier.

ps
Please run this test and post the results:
telnet home.isbd.net 25
ehlo fred
quit

and post the results.