How to get mail to local destinations delivered?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 13 16:10:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 02:27:54AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> Hmm, this sounds familiar.  Somewhere along the line of setting up
> >> networking on one of my boxes, it got a FQDN set where there should just
> >> be a hostname.  Then sendmail was adding the domain name onto the end of
> >> that.  Naturally, this didn't work.  And I got some peculiar error
> >> messages.
> >>
> >> e.g. What happened:
> >>      my intended hostname:  machine
> >>      my intended domain name:  example.com
> >>
> >>      actual hostname:  machine.example.com
> >>      actual domain name:  example.com
> >>
> >>      Services making up a FQDN from the given information, came up
> >>      with:  machine.example.com.example.com
>
> Chris G:
> > Yes, I'm pretty sure that's *exactly* my problem.
> >
> > My MUA (mutt) allows one to set the hostname for mail sent to 'name
> > only' users.  I had (probably naively given all these problems!) set
> > the hostname in mutt to home.isbd.net.
>
> I don't really know Mutt.  I've played with it ages ago, but found it
> about as dire as Pine, and I don't like text mail clients.  It may be
> that it's Mutt you need to pay some attention to as well as your SMTP
> system.

Mutt is *very* standards aware and compliant.  It works in very much
the same way (from the point of view of communicating with the system)
that 'mail' and 'mailx' do, if they don't work then it's something
seriously wrong with the system.  I did in fact try 'mail' as well as
mutt and the problems were the same.

> My advice would be something similar:  Configure by the book.  Make sure

What book?!  :-)   I think that's much of the problem, there's not
much information directly related to setting up a home system as a
sub-domain.

--
Chris Green