K3B not recognizing sony dvd writer

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:42:06 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am having an issue where I can't get K3B to see my Sony DVD Writer.
When I start it, it promptly tells me that there isn't a writing
device available.

Profile:
System = Dell C800 Laptop
OS = Fedora 7
K3B = 0:1.0.3-2
Sony DVD Writer Model = DRX-810UL
Note: The DVD Writer is connected to the laptop through a very old 5
port hub

I have ran "cdrecord -scanbus" on the command line and got the
following output

scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) *
0,1,0 1) 'TEAC ' 'CD-224E ' '3.7C' Removable CD-ROM

scsibus2:
2,0,0 200) 'SONY ' 'DVD RW DRU-710A ' 'BY01' Removable CD-ROM
2,1,0 201) *

I have also tried 3 other burning programs Gnome CD Creator,
GnomeBaker and Brasero and all of those  gave me errors when trying to
burn a cd/dvd.  They recognized the DVD Rom but all gave different
errors when trying to write.

Has anyone run into this type of an issue or can offer some advice?