rpm spec file - buildroot

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 14 11:55:38 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> I'm back with another question about rpm spec files.  This time I'm trying to
> compile Vice (the Commodore 64 emulator).  Vice actually comes with a vice.spec
> file in the tarball, but it's out-of-date and doesn't really work any more.
>
> The point that I'm stuck at is this:  I have managed to get the actual
> compiling process to work but when I get to the "install" portion I get the
> following errors:
Are you saying rpmbuild -ba x.spec is generating these errors ?

> Making install in CBM-II
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]: Entering
> directory `/home/frankcox/rpmbuild/BUILD/vice-1.22/data/CBM-II' make[4]:
> Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'. test -z "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II"
> || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib/vice/CBM-II" mkdir: cannot create directory `/usr/local/lib/vice': Permission denied
> make[4]: *** [install-cbm2DATA] Error 1

IMO, make install might need additional parameters to cause it to insert
the compiled files into the build-root, or you may need to properly
setup the rpm environment for devel, so that $RPM_BUILD_ROOT is within
your temporary build area, not your live system.

Fedora has a strong policy on package development; one item is the
necessity of:
BuildRoot: %(mktemp -ud %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-XXXXXX)

{ see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines?highlight=%28tmppath%7D/%25%7Bname%7D-%25%7Bversion%7D-%25%7Brelease%7D%29#head-b4fdd45fa76cbf54c885ef0836361319ab962473
}

yum install redhat-rpm-config

set your ~/.rpmmacros file with:
%_topdir /home/you/src/redhat

create the structure found at /usr/src/redhat/RPMS  etc. in the topdir.

DaveT {OTTOMH - others have better experience/knowledge with this stuff}.