VMware Workstation 6.0.2 on F8: Re-run vmware-config.pl after every reboot

Christopher A. Williams fedoralists at cawllc.com
Wed Nov 14 14:11:44 UTC 2007

I have VMware Workstation 6.0.2, both 32 and 64-bit versions, installed
on two different systems running F8 (obviously 32 and 64-bit versions,
respectively). All is working except that I am being forced to re-run
vmware-config.pl after every reboot. It looks like a problem udev is not
preserving the vmnet devices.

Does anyone have a workaround to make sure that things like /dev/vmnet1
and /dev/vmnet8 are preserved?

I don't know if this is a VMware or F8 problem, but tend to lean
strongly toward it being F8 related because Workstation 6.0.2 does _not_
have this problem on F7.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra