any good UPS for a Fedora server

Mike azmr at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 14 15:31:02 UTC 2007

I get 3+ hours of run time from this combination (RS1500 plus external
BR24BP battery):

     http://reviews.compusa.com/2795/568415/reviews.htm

The measured power consumption of the singler server that this backs up is
only 115 watts, pretty low generally speaking.

I use a usb cable between the RS1500 and the server.  I've configured
apcupsd to page me when several different events happen, power out, power
restored etc.

The downside of the RS1500 and apcupsd is that 9 times out of 10 it
triggers a shutdown long before the battery is even close to exhausted.
To prevent this I replaced the shutdown script with a script that does
nothing.  Never did find a more elegant solution.

In any case this may not be the UPS for you but this works well for me.
Someone can almsost always get to the server if the "Power restored" page
doesn't come in within 2 hours of power out...