looking for suggestions - radeon display bad

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Nov 15 16:00:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 23:36 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> It appears that either the ATI installer or the livna version work for
> >> my system. Attached is the output of a failed livna binary.
> >> I had to revert to radeon again but only edited the diver and kept the
> >> generated configuration for the fglrx attempt.
> > ----
> > Jim,
> >
> > I had to take a couple of runs at it to get it working - I'm not at the
> > office now...I'll follow up with more info when I get to the office.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Thanks! I would of course use an outstanding radeon driver from Fedora
> instead of using an outside the distro version. With the decayed
> graphics quality though, outside drivers if they work better would be a
> solution until the radeon driver (Multistage with the ati, if I recall)
> is in a tolerable state again. I'm putting up the white flag for
> submitting bugs since the last problem with the i810 was shuffled
> upstream for most of the bug correspondence. I think the radeon problem
> would be handled the same if a report was posted in RH bugzilla.
----
yeah, I will probably have to do something like a bugzilla entry on the
radeon xorg driver which as far as I can tell, works like crap (major
regression) and no one has suggested otherwise thus far. I also got the
impression that xorg is working with ATI's new open source effort to
improve this so this may be an in-between problem.

This is how I got the 'fglrx' driver to work on Fedora 8 with Livna
repository....

# to get rid of the vestiges of a failed install attempt...
yum remove \
  kmod-fglrx \
  kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 \
  xorg-x11-drv-fglrx \
  livna-config-display
rpm -ivh \
  /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/kmod-fglrx \
  /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 \
  /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/xorg-x11-drv-fglrx \
  /var/cache/yum/livna/packages/livna-config-display

Now I will note that I am use x86_64 which installs compat-libstdc++-33
for both x86_64 and i386 as dependencies (but they come from Fedora, not
Livna)

My problem with the above was that it seemed to hang while installing
kmod-fglrx-2.6.23.1-49 which as far as I could tell, was while doing
linking and finally, I just installed via rpm which worked.

Craig