video turns off just when os starts services when booting F8 after fresh install

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Nov 16 01:23:47 UTC 2007

Ferindo Middleton wrote:
> I've recently upgraded my F6 to F8. The install finished ok but when the
> computer boots it gets to the boot loader, finishes and starts booting
> up the kernel and then when it gets to the point where it show the type
> I for Interactive boot and just after it starts the udev service, the
> screen goes blank and never returns. There was no indication during the
> setup that there was a problem with the video card (I installed using
> the graphical installer by the way).
>
> I'm a bit stumped because I can't really even look at any logs files or
> anything because the screen goes blank before it finishes booting up to
> Gnome. I tried maybe secure shelling in but that doesn't work either
> because maybe ssh service might not be turned on by default or
> something, not sure. I don't even know if the system finishes starting
> other services or finishes other booting-up procedures because the
> screen just goes pitch black just when the os starts turning on
> services. I'm attempting to reinstall i rescue mode now but don't know
> if this will help resolve the issue. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> --
> ferindo

When the system starts to boot, hit a key to bring up the Grub menu.
Use e for edit, and then use the arrow keys to highlight the kernel
line. Hit e to edit this line. If you put a 3 at the end of this
line, and hit b for boot, you will boot into run level 3. (there is
also an option you can remove so that you stay in the text mode the
entire boot, but I don't remember it right now - I normally boot
this machine that way. For me, the change would be from:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-61.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

to:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-61.fc6 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 3

You also have the option of entering the label and the option
instead of using the edit option: (It will be a different lable for
you.)

Fedora Core (2.6.22.9-61.fc6) 3
Mikkel