Turbo Memory

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 19 15:39:26 UTC 2007

Claude Jones wrote:

> The notebook was an Asus 2GS - I asked here because I figure if anyone might
> be working on utilizing this new technology in Linux, it might be someone
> associated with Fedora. The reference to Turbo Memory in the Asus ad led me
> to find the same page already, that you posted above. I also downloaded the
> PDF data sheet. Apparently, the new technology relies on a software component
> (driver?) only available in Vista. There's nowhere any mention of making the
> technology available in XP. It is being described as a new 'key system
> component' on a par with ram, cpu, etc... I did try clicking on the contact
> us button, but it leads to more and more pages, and there wasn't time in my
> schedule to figure out which contact link would be the most appropriate.
> Maybe I'll give it another go later...

It sounds like they are using the flash memory as swap. I have seen
flash memory that was designed to plug into the motherboard USB
header that was advertised to do the same thing in Vista. If this is
what they are doing, then implementing it in Linux should be a
matter of making it a swap partition/file.

If you get the motherboard,see if it detects it as a USB memory
drive. If so, and if you are not dual booting, it would be just a
matter of creating a swap partition, (Or making the entire device
one big swap device.) and add a fstab entry for it. You would want
to give it a label, and use that in place of a device name. You
could also do this with a standard "pen" drive. I am not sure about
the life of the device, but it might be fun to try it with a flash
drive you don't mind loosing.

Mikkel