VMWare on Fedora 8

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Nov 19 18:51:54 UTC 2007

Michael Eager wrote:
> Greg Sieranski wrote:
>
>> The work around was to set VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no. This allowed me
>> to open up images I had previously created. Now when I tried to start
>> up the images I would get the "Version mismatch with vmmon module:
>> expecting 167.0, got 161.0". So I tried reinstalling vmware and not
>> running the any-any-update114 patch. Now, I do not get the version
>> mismatch error but my system just locks up and I have to hold down the
>> power button to reboot.
>>
>> I tried downgrading to VMWare Workstation 6.0.0 and applying the
>> any-any-update114 but my system still locks up.
>
> I have the similar behavior.  The keyboard and mouse respond,
> and I can type into a terminal window, but no commands execute.
> Eventually, the system hangs completely.
>
> I wasn't able to find any patches for Workstation 6.x on the VMWare
> website.  Can you send me a link?

Tom sent me the link to a repo with the -114 patch:
  http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

After installing that patch (and the net-services patch)
VMWare comes up with the error message that there was a
Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 167.0 got 161.0.
It says to reinstall VMWare Workstation.

I'm going to reinstall VMWare from the RPM, apply the 114 patch,
and try again.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077