F8: Mozilla plugins (flash and mplayer) don't work

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Tue Nov 20 02:24:29 UTC 2007

For fun, I decided to test Adobe's Flash plugin over the weekend on my
F8/x86_64 machine, and had to do the following to get it to work
properly.

Step 1: Go to their website [1] and download and install the repository
definition RPM.

Step 2: Install the flash plugin. ("yum install flash-plugin" as root).

Step 3: Remove and reinstall all nspluginwrapper and libflashsupport
packages.
# rpm --erase --nodeps nspluginwrapper.i386 nspluginwrapper.x86_64
# yum install nspluginwrapper

(When you re-install it, be sure that _both_ i386 and x86_64 packages
are being installed. It requires both components to function properly.)

Step 4: If you're using PulseAudio (default on Fedora 8+), you will need
to install the libflashsupport packages (again, both x86_64 and i386
incarnations, AFAIK) if they are not already installed. I believe they
were installed by default, but I don't remember for certain.

Step 5: Close all browser sessions (Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, etc.) and
restart your browser(s). You should then see the plugin in
about:plugins, and YouTube/H*R/etc. should Just Work(tm).

That was just for testing purposes, mind you; I no longer use the plugin
since swfdec works just as well for YouTube (which is the only
Flash-intensive site I visit regularly).

Hope that helps.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479