Dual layer dvd burning

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Nov 20 02:43:52 UTC 2007

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 6:26 PM -0500 11/19/07, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> While the drives are capable of holding 8GB of data, the filesystem is
>> *still* not capable of holding a file >= 2GB.  This is usually not a
>> problem when writing video onto these drives as the VOB filesize is <
>> 2GB anyways.  When using them to write backups of large files, games
>> must be played to get the data to fit.
>
> Why use a filesystem?  I just put a tar archive directly on the media.
> Growisofs doesn't care what file you burn.

Uh, yes, it does.  It creates an ISO fs containing the file(s) you want
burnt, and the ISO fs is where the 2GB filesize limit is.

Years ago, I used to write TAR files directly to raw media (floppies)
and read them back on another (compatible) machine.  It works great.

With the advent of CDs and DVDs, its much harder to write directly to
the blank disks.  You pretty much have to use something like growisofs
or cdrecord to do it, and they want to create ISO (or UDF) filesystems
which have limitation on what they will contain.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net