OT: are usb flash drives suitable archival media?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 20 06:58:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 07:58 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
> Clay tablets are the great survivors.

;-)

If you need to archive things long term, then you really do need to keep
the playback system, as well, and convert to a new storage system from
time to time.  That means keeping an eye out for when a medium is going
to become unfeasible, and convert beforehand.  That includes the ability
of your own equipment to keep on working, or using someone else's to
read your data.

e.g. The demise of floppies was evident a number of years ago, anybody
who had valuable information on them really needed to move the data to
something else a while ago.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.