alfresco installation?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Tue Nov 20 16:22:25 UTC 2007

> Craig White wrote:

> >> Their DNS was screwed up when I was looking for this a few days ago -
> >> looks like everything is back to normal now.  That bundle includes a jvm
> >> and tomcat that you might not want, but installing it on a virtual
> >> machine might give you a hint about what all has to be started besides
> >> tomcat.
> > ----
> > yeah, I got the thread info from Jeff Gustafson suggesting the war
> > install and now parsing through the installation manual, that makes the
> > most sense.
> >
> > if I buy a new server, would you suggest that I install CentOS/RHEL-xen
> > and run this as a virtual machine?
>
> No, that was just a suggestion for a test install to figure out how it
> works.  Once you know where everything belongs, java provides enough of
> a virtualization layer.
----
well, considering that I really don't have a server (or even a desktop
system) around that I can adequately set up and test, I'm thinking that
this might be a good time to strong arm the boss and buy a new server
that actually has hardware support for virtualization.

Thus I am thinking that I could get a rack server with sufficient hard
drive space, 4 GB RAM and a couple of Xeon processors, wait until
CentOS-5.1 and set up so that I could have LTSP & alfresco running under
xen...this makes sense to me, do this make sense to you?

Craig