Can Java just shoot me?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Nov 24 14:08:59 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, Chris G wrote:
> Then you should complain to the people who wrote the web page, not the
> implementors of Java.

So he's going to complain to his IT organization... this is the right way to
get Linux in the enterprise, yes?!  (no.)  Chris, many users of Fedora are
doing so in organizations where they have zero control of the infrastructure;
Fedora needs to adapt to the infrastructure that is present, because the
infrastructure that is present is not going to be changed just for little old
Fedora's sake.  If you think the infrastructure needs to be changed just to
accommodate an unsupported OS, well, you don't know what you're talking
about.  Some IT organizations will work with you, unless you make yourself a
pest: do that, and they may decide to intentionally make it difficult for
you.

> Personally I hate pages that use Java, it very, very rarely adds
> anything useful to publically available web pages and (as you have
> discovered) it isn't always easy to get the Java plugin (if that's
> what you need) working well.

We use a Java system for a remote controlled radio telescope here.  It works
very well, and allows real-time control of the radio telescope, with
in-browser spectrometer/radiometer control and graphing, along with telescope
positioning and a webcam showing the telescope.  We make this telescope
available over the internet to educators who complete our training program
for the telescope; they can then use the telescope in-class to give hands-on
education to their students in radio telescopy.  The students, using the
radiometer and a servlet-driven mapping/deconvolution routine, can map the
sky at 1.42GHz (the neutral hydrogen emission line).  The students, using the
spectrometer function, can determine the doppler shifts of various portions
of the galactic plane and can draw a curve of the galactic rotation (while we
could calculate that for them in-applet, we prefer to teach them how to take
the raw doppler frequency shifts and derive the galactic velocities by hand).

At the time we put this online, Java was the only option for this sort of
control through a browser; it's been online for 5 years with a couple of
systems upgrades in between.  As development of this size of system is
expensive, we will continue to use Java applet control until something better
comes along (and, while I can't tell you what it is due to NDA, I can say
that there is something far superior that is coming along nicely; it did
require a sizable grant to fund the development, though.  And, no, it isn't
yet another AJAX hack.).

We do have Linux and Mac users; and, quite frankly, icedtea does not work with
this applet at all.  I had it working fine in F7 with Sun's JRE, but haven't
yet gotten it to work in F8.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer