How do I save URL's posted in emails for future use

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Nov 26 18:31:36 UTC 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 19:42, Steven Stern wrote:

> On 11/25/2007 12:16 PM, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Often I find that links to download a file, or just to access a site are
> > posted within an email. if it's a link to a site, I can bookmark it in
> > konqueror, but if it's a file to download, I'm not sure what to do with
> > it.
> >
> > At the moment if I want to send the link to someone, I have to work my
> > way through my inbox (kmail) , and try to find the link to the download.
> >
> > Ideally what I'm looking for is to list all these URL's, perhaps with a
> > line or two of text added to each URL describing what they are for.
> >
> > As an example, the link below downloads a script, which when run extracts
> > all the info for Alsa on your distro, and uploads it to pastebin. This
> > can be very usefull to Alsa developers, and also to resolving problems
> > you might have.
> > http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh
> >
> > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I use tomboy to keep track of stuff like this.  Because it's searchable,
> I just have to remember a few words, phrase, or part of the URL. Also,
> tomboy notes can cross-link, so it's easy to reorganize later.
>
> - --
>
>   Steve.

Hi Steve. I've got Tomboy on F7, and F8, but on FC2 where I still download all
my e-mail, it's not available, and trying to install the tarball of Tomboy on
FC2 results in configure errors. It appears that some packages now available
on Gnome F7, and F8 were not available on the earlier Gnome version on FC2.

This is the first one that comes up, and the package isn't available for FC2.
configure: error: gnome-doc-utils >= 0.3.2 not found

So back to square one.

As Les said, I can bookmark the URL's linking to websites, but as he also
says, if you havn't bookmarked the link, you have to spend time searching
your emails to find it, and I know the feeling well.

My problem though is with those links for direct downloads from a site, as per
the one I listed above.
http://bulletproof.servebeer.com/alsa/scripts/alsa-info.sh

This just downloads the script from the site. No webpages are opened, and
bookmarking is possible, as you don't have a webpage to bookmark.

The same goes for direct music downloads from sites on LAU, as you are
directly downloading a .ogg file from the site, for example.

I'm just wondering if I can just copy these links to a textfile, and then if I
want to give someone the link, can just paste it into Kmails composer.

Perhaps not as good as Tomboy, but if it works on FC2, it works.

Thanks for the replies.

Nigel.