Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 26 20:49:37 UTC 2007

gordon at gorste.plus.com wrote:
> Dear List
>
> Thank you for you help I have installed the  ipw2200 drivers.   When I
> issue the command iwconfig  I get :
>
> sit0      no wireless extensions.
>
> eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any
>           Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0
>           Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>           Encryption key:off
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>

> I still can not connect to my wireless network,  Where do i configure my
> wireless key and ESSID ?

man iwconfig. You should start with "iwlist scan" to be sure your ap is
seem, then iwconfig after that.

I was looking at this the other day, wondering if it was worth adding
wpa software to my older installation, given that I use the wireless
only as an untrusted connection and then set up a vpn to my firewall
before any real data goes over the connection.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>