Wanna give me a hand debunking this?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:41:51 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>> A better way to find what Red Hat considers fedora to be suitable for
>> might be to ask where they use it themselves.  Is there a single public
>> facing server managed by Red Hat that runs fedora?
>
> There is more than code quality that goes into determining the
> operating system to use in a production environment.

Yes, but regardless of the reasons, there's probably not much difference
between what would be suitable for Red Hat to run and what would be
suitable for me - or anyone else...  Red Hat probably knows the most
about the suitability, so if they chose to use fedora for critical
services and made that information public, I'd have good reasons to
consider it myself.

> Fedora's stated
> lifetime policy and rate of technical advancement has to be weighted
> against other distribution choices in the Fedora derived ecosystem
> which move more slowly.  The release cycle and updating policy of the
> Fedora distribution are not necessarily the most attractive elements
> for use in production systems.

Or anything but disposable test boxes?

> For production systems, for which Fedora distribution's lifetime
> policy is ill-fitted, the Fedora Project does sponsor the EPEL project
> for contributors who want to target extending the enterprise systems
> in the Fedora ecosystem.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

I've seen this mentioned before but only on this (and perhaps the
Centos) mail list.  Has it gotten any mainstream publicity?

> I personally would consider systems making use of EPEL as systems
> which make use of Fedora directly.  If you are not familiar with how
> EPEL works, please read over the links at the EPEL wikipage at the
> Fedora Project wiki.  It's perfectly acceptable to contribute to the
> Fedora project by contributing to EPEL without having to run the
> Fedora distribution.

Are there plans to add the things that would most likely to be needed -
the popular desktop packages like OpenOffice, Firefox, Evolution,
Thunderbird, etc. in the versions that fedora is shipping?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com