Wanna give me a hand debunking this?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Mon Nov 26 21:36:05 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> I mean in a situation where if they don't come up running after a
> scheduled update/reboot it will cost you something.  Doing a job
> that can wait until an experienced administrator fixes things or
> pulling data stored in some more reliable repository doesn't really
> count.

Well, it costs Fedora reputation and users if its core systems go
down.  The build system, as well as smolt, mirror manager, the package
database, and other apps are all running Fedora.  Basically, much of
the infrastructure that brings you Fedora, runs on Fedora.

But I think that the data you want would require you to have better
contacts within Red Hat.

>> Not likely.  EPEL isn't about replacing things in RHEL.  It is
>> about adding on.
>
> Then it still misses the need for a way to get current desktop
> programs without wild and crazy changes in the kernel and device
> drivers.

You could always start a repository to do this.  If it's in that much
demand, then you'd have plenty of volunteers to do the packaging and
deal with the bug reports.  Fedora has made a lot of progress in the
past few releases to allow other folks to create their own derivative
releases based on Fedora.  If you are convinced that there is a great
need, you could help fill it.

(Of course, you could just bring it up here on a regular basis.
That's fun too.  Alternated with reasons why the GPL is a bad license,
we could have an endless supply of chatter to keep the list active. ;)