ip masquerading/subnets

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Nov 26 23:57:43 UTC 2007

bruce wrote:
> craig...
>
> if you look at the diagram again.. box2 has ath0 which is on the 192.168.1
> sub (it's 1.5). box2/eth0 is on a different sub, because as i understand it,
> you can't have multiple nics on the same box, on the same subnet....

You can - you can have 2 or more interfaces that have the same IP
address using bridging.

> the issue is what has to be setup on box2 regarding iptables/route cmds to
> allow this to all work.
>
> thanks

No matter what you do to the Linux box, other machines on the
192.168.1.0/24 network are not going to know that the Linux box is
the gateway to the 192.168.2.0/24 network unless you tell them. So
when you try to ping 192.168.2.5, the packet is sent to the D-link
router, because that is the default route, and the machines only
know the route for the 192.168.1.0/24 network, and the default
route. As I posted in another message, you may be able to add a
route to the D-link router so it know to use the Linux box as the
route to the 192.168.2.0/24 network. If not, then you have to add
the route to the other machines on the 192.168.1.0/24 network.

Mikkel
--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?