kernel panic on boot--need grub help

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Nov 27 04:14:36 UTC 2007

Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> I just installed fedora 8 on my AMD 64 X2 box using a live x64 DVD,
> set it to install from my Kubuntu hard disk (sda), and did not choose
> the option to reinstall grub.(Woe is me.)
> I figured that I would edit /boot/grub/menu.lst where Kubuntu keeps
> the grub boot list.So far, I have only gotten kernel panics.
>  I would reinstall Fedora from the live DVD and choose to reinstall
> grub on the kubuntu disk, but the mouse pointer now disappears after I
> enter the user name.
> So, I need help from someone's grub.conf file, (or help with
> disappearing mouse pointer?)
>
> In my menu.lst, I have:
>
> title           Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root            (hd1,0)      // second hard drive, first partition
> kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb   //have
> tried 'root=LABEL=/' also without 'ro'
> initrd          /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img     //have tried without initrd line
> savedefault
> boot
>
> In grub interactive itself, grub finds the kernel, but at the initrd line gives
> error 16: inconsistent file structure or something like that.
>
> Can anyone get this fedora to boot?
> Really want it for the newest alsa drivers

You are telling the kernel that the / partition is the entire drive
/dev/sdb, instead of something like  /dev/sdb1. (Okay - probably
not/dev/sdb1, as that is your /boot partition...) In any case, you
are not giving the kernel a valid partition for /, so it panics.

Now, as far as the cursor problem, that is probably a
hardware/software cursor selection problem, and may requiring
editing your xorg.conf file. I forget the exact option, but someone
will have it. Or do a search on hardware cursor.

Mikkel