FC6->FC8 Migration Path

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Nov 27 15:06:22 UTC 2007

Tod wrote:
> Is there one, other than doing a clean install?  I'd prefer a straight
> upgrade if I could get away with it.  Any reference docs anyone could
> point me to?

You *can* do the upgrade, but it invariably leaves some cruft in files
behind, possibly a few libraries which you shouldn't use, etc. Do backup
everything before starting!

If you have /home and /usr/local in separate filesystems you can
preserve them over reinstall.

If you were good about using RCS (or similar) whenever you changed a
config file, you can just save the /etc/RCS directory and /root
somewhere (hopefully they're small).

A new install is faster (other than backup time) and gives a cleaner
result. An upgrade may be less work. If you do the upgrade, *do* stop
cron from running anything in the middle!!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>