emacs in F9

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Nov 28 11:21:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > > Minor but annoying point.  It seems like in F9 there is no 'emacs'
> > > command.
> > > Instead I have to type (or tab-complete / alias / etc.) 'emacs-22.1.50'.
> > >
> > > Any reason for this or just a mistake?
> >
> > um ...F9?  in any event, on my F8 system, there *is* an F8 file
> > /usr/bin/emacs, but it's a symlink:
>
> Well OK, F8-devel = F9.
>
> > $ ls -l /usr/bin/emacs
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2007-11-11 04:52 /usr/bin/emacs ->
> > /etc/alternatives/emacs
> >
> > you might want to run
> >
> >   $ alternatives --config emacs
> >
> > and see if you're somehow missing that setup step.
>
> # /usr/sbin/alternatives --config emacs
>
> There are 2 programs which provide 'emacs'.
>
>   Selection    Command
> *+ 1           /usr/bin/emacs-22.1
>    2           /usr/bin/emacs-22.1.50
>
> Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number: 1
> # emacs
> bash: emacs: command not found

setting up the appropriate symlink would seem to be a consequence of
installing the emacs package.  here's the deal with emacs on F8:

=====
$ rpm -q --scripts emacs-22.1
preuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
if [ $1 -eq 0 ] ; then
  alternatives --remove emacs /usr/bin/emacs-22.1
fi
posttrans scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
alternatives --install /usr/bin/emacs emacs /usr/bin/emacs-22.1 80
=====

  can you check the situation with the emacs you have?  how does it
differ from the above?  this would appear to be a bug in the emacs
package.  of course, you could always just create the symlink
yourself, but i would think that should be done by the regular
installation process.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA