insert file?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 00:14:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 6:47 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Jacques B. wrote:
> >> No, that is the correct syntax.  No -n when telling tail to start at
> >> the "N"th line.
> >>
> >> tail -n 5
> >> will give you the last five lines
> >> tail +5
> >> will start at the fifth line (according to man pages, so doesn't skip
> >> 5 lines - I tested it earlier but didn't pay close enough attention -
> >> not in Linux now so can't test right now) and give you the rest of the
> >> file
> >>
> >> Jacques B.
> >>
> > Maybe it is just the version of tail in Fc6, but this is what I get:
> >
> > $ tail +3 README
> > tail: cannot open `+3' for reading: No such file or directory
>
> Posix doesn't like +'s as option flags these days, and gnu utilities
> don't like updating their man pages.  Try
> tail -n +3 README
> (and info tail)
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com
>

> --

I wasn't sitting at a Fedora box at work when I tested it.  I was
sitting at a BackTrac 2 box (a Slackware based security distro).  That
could explain the difference.  Lesson for the future, wait until I'm
at my Fedora box so I can test it there before posting a reply.

Alex did you try it on a Fedora box?  If so what version?  Seeing you
posted with that syntax I'm guessing it worked for you as well.

Thanks,

Jacques