Copying one's home directory to an external hard disk

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:25:08 UTC 2007

Robin Laing wrote:

>>> What is the best way of copying *entirely* one's home directory to an
>>> external hard disk?
>>
>> tar
>
> I will vote against tar.
>
> I used it for a backup some time ago and just this past weekend, I had
> to recover 4 files.  Due to the size of the tar file, it took ages.  I
> am talking hours.
>
> With the cost of drives today, I would just use cp -a.  I have not used
> rsync so I cannot comment on that.

There would be almost no difference on the first run except that you can
interrupt and restart without repeating what had been completed.  On a
subsequent update, only the changes are copied so it can be hundreds of
times faster.   Plus, if you add -essh (the default for recent versions)
and a host: on the source or destination, the syntax is the same for
remote copies that are just as efficient.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com