Fedora and Ubuntu

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 29 23:57:30 UTC 2007

    Pup and yum on F7 are a pain. Often when the message is for 10 new
updates I do it in a terminal. Either way it is quite slow. But it works.

    Ubuntu uses apt-get and a GUI thing like Pup but it works much
better. I have no desire to do it in a terminal. When I set it up the
first time it took 90 updates. I was amazed how fast it went and zero
problems. There are several things not Fedora or normal Ubuntu
applications that I MUST have. On Ubuntu they are all a simple # apt-get
install and they do all the work bringing in the necessary libs and such.

    At this time I can say the Ubuntu update system is very superior to
Pup and yum used on Fedora. I suggest Fedora look close at Ubuntu and
see how to get it working here.

    Both systems use Gnome and that makes both look VERY similar. A nice
feature of Ubuntu is that that mount all the Linux systems on boot to
/mnt and you can then, of course transfer things from the Fedora systems
to Ubuntu. Or the reverse.

    Ubuntu is based on Debian and the place that files go and do are odd
to a Fedora user. There is no grub.conf and /etc/fstab is a real MESS! I
am not sure my Fedora /home directory can be used with Ubuntu, but I
will try just for fun.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI