Backup of a VMware virtual machine

Alan M. Evans fedoralist at alanevans.org
Fri Nov 30 00:05:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 23:55 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> Is it possible to backup an entire VMware virtual machine?

I do this all the time. Just tar up all the files in the VM's directory.
It's a good idea to make sure that the VM is not currently open. I even
moved a VM from my old work computer to the new one this way -- no
problems at all.

You could also clone the VM, but a cloned VM is not *exactly* the same
as the original. (Vista will, for example, want to phone home for a
fresh activation.)