Re: Determining IP information for lo... failed [solved]

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Why, yes, BOOTPROTO defaults to BOOTP, if it's set, read the ifup script. Get rid of this. You may need to run system-config-network, and flip your actual network interface to explicitly use dhcp, if that's what you need.

Seems so straightforward in hindsight. I just removed the line "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" from "/etc/sysconfig/network" (which if I understand it correctly, affects system-wide networking defaults) and added it to "/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1" (which I understand to control the eth1 interface only). Now both interfaces come up instantly. Thanks very much.