Instruct yum to keep old kernels

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sat Sep 1 18:11:33 UTC 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007, Vivek J. Patankar wrote:
> Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > When updating my system, yum wants to remove my working kernel.
> > How can I make sure yum doesn't touch any kernel ever in an upgrade
> > process unless I want it ?
>
> If the version of yum installed on your system is 3.2.2, add the
> following line to /etc/yum.conf
> 	installonly_limit = 0
> This will disable removal of older versions. To retain a specific number
> of older packages, change 0 to the appropriate value.

This seems to have done something but I still get a problem updating :

Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed by package
alsa-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed by package
ivtv-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7
Missing Dependency: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.1-33.fc7 is needed by package
nvidia-graphics100.14.11-kmdl-2.6.22.1-33.fc7

$ uname -r
2.6.22.1-33.fc7

I somehow don't understand the missing dependency unless yum is still trying
to remove my running kernel.

Regards,
Marcel