Gnome won't start after upgrade to FC7

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 02:07:15 UTC 2007

Edward DeMeulle wrote:
> I was afraid someone was going to tell me something like that. There are
> a number of packages that are in duplicate and triplicate. I assume that
> if I get a dependency message, such as
>         glibc = 2.5-10.fc6 is needed by (installed)
> glibc-headers-2.5-10.fc6.i386
>         glibc = 2.5-10.fc6 is needed by (installed)
> glibc-devel-2.5-10.fc6.i386
> that I need to follow it through by checking for dup's on those packages
> and then removing and so on...
>
> Just so I understand , are there any cases where multiple versions of
> the same package are acceptable?

You might want to install the yum-utils package which contains a program
called package-cleanup. It has an option called --problems which will
tell you what programs are missing items or are wrong in other ways.

After you find out what packages have multiple versions outside kernel
and gpg-key packages if you are running a 32-bit version, download the
latest version of the rpm into a directory. Afterward, run rpm from that
directory with the -Uvh --replacepkgs and --replacefiles options. This
should replace any missing files and remove the remnants from the
incompletely removed older package. If it is a kernel package, you would
put them in a seperate directory and use -ivh instead of -Uvh

If you are running a 64-bit version there are both i386 and 64-bit
versions of some packages that should have the same version I believe. I
  only have i386 so am not sure directly how same versions are setup.

Jim

--
Everything is controlled by a small evil group to which, unfortunately,
no one we know belongs.