list of wireless device supported

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:43:40 UTC 2007

> Here is what I did and you can quickly find if there is a driver for
> your device at the web site.
>

>         How to get WiFi working on your lap-top
>
>     It has been hard to get the wifi that works so well on your Windows
> XP to work when you select Linux at boot time.This paper will show a
> step by step process that will get the modern laptop working.
>
> I:    First, in this example, I must learn the name of my WiFi hardware.
> This can be done by opening a Terminal, becoming root, and entering
> 'lspci'.
>
> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
> 00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
> 00:0f.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
> 00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
>
> Notice there are two items called Ethernet controller. But notice the
> Atheros says it handles 802.11abg which is what WiFi is, So now we know
> this laptop has hardware made by Atheros Communications, Inc.
>
> II:    The second step is to find out what Linux software is written for
> our hardware. I used a great web page at:
>
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
>
> I went to this web page and at the first choice selected Sony. I then
> hit Show and in the green band was Atheros and it says I need the
> MadWiFi package and directs me to their web page. There you look at the
> HowTo page and learn the actual kernel module is called "ath_pci" and
> that call will get it working and it will call all the other needed
> modules. The next step is to find a kernel with this software in it that
> will make my laptop work.
>
> III:    Either find a kernel that has the drivers in module form, or
> find a kernel modification that has the MadWiFi package. When done test
> the kernel. This can be done by opening a Terminal, becoming root, and
> entering 'modprobe ath_pci'.
>
>     I used "service network reboot" and it came back up with two
> Internet sources, eth0 and ath0 listed. It showed no eth0 and ath0 was
> not turned on. I told it to turn on ath0 and it did and the WiFi
> Internet started working.
>
> IV:
>
>     Listed next is four laptop hardware systems I know about.
>
>   Hardware              Software        modprobe
>
>   Atheros Comm           madwifi        ath_pci
>
>   Intel old              IEEE80211      ipw2200
>
>   IntelPro 3945          IEEE80211      ipw3945
>
>   Broadcom BCM 4318      MAC80211       bcm43xx
>

> V:    There is a network system available in at least Fedora Core 6 and
> Fedora 7 called NetworkManager. You will want to set that up at least on
> your laptop. I have it on both computers. Caution! Turn off network if
> your using NetworkManager. Be aware that not everyone likes this
> software and some say that it will not work well with some WiFi systems.
> I can only say it works just fine for me.

> [...]

Thanks Karl.  I'll have to check that out.  In my case it's my desktop
and the wireless device is a USB device, so lspci wouldn't work for my
scenario (I already know what it is so that's not problem, plus I
could get it out of dmesg I suspect and with lsusb certainly).  I did
find that nsdiwrapper (haven't used it yet) is probably what I need.
I've also read about using a Windows driver and wine.  If I have to
tackle this issue because it's not supported by F7 then I'll certainly
look at your notes.  Right now I'm trying to find out what is
supported out of the box.  If it's supported out of the box then I'll
undertake my upgrade sooner rather than later.  If it's not and I can
get a supported pci card pretty cheap I may go that route instead.  Or
if it's not too time consuming I'll plug at getting my USB wireless
device working.  But as mentioned earlier right now I don't have time
to fuss with it so would only upgrade in the very near future if
support is built in.  Hence why I'm trying to find the list of
wireless devices supported out of the box with F7.  After all they
were boasting rock solid wireless support with F7.  But it failed when
I tried it on my work laptop where another distro had it out of the
box (was testing a few distros on it).  So rock solid may have been a
goal but seems like they are not quite there yet.

Thanks,

Jacques B.