Rsync

Paul Ward pnward at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 3 22:25:44 UTC 2007

cheers guys for your help.

To clarify the problem I have is at work one of our departments
regularly ask me to download files from one of their suppliers. I was
thinking that rather than do this when asked I could use a tool like
rsync to download any new files and then notify me.

Rsync works great for me at home when syncing a repo through ftp so my
my first thought was can it do a similar job on a secure ftp site that
uses a password and user name.

In light of this is it possible to log in to a ftp site using the
standard ftp tool and do a directory listing then exit whilst logging
the session to a file eg channel 1> ftp_output (Not sure about my
syntax on this) then use diff or grep to match any differences between
my last dir, and download the new files?

Any thoughts?