Installing Fedora7 in a VirtualPC2007 guest?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Sep 4 03:54:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:53:20PM +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> This is a more appropriate subject for the thread where I would like
> to get some advice on how to actually succeed in getting Fdora7 to run
> in a virtual machine under Microsoft VPC2007.

> 1) VPC2007 emulates a Trio64 video card, but unfortunately not 100%.
> The 24 bit color depth mode is not supported unless the VESA driver is
> used. The S3 Trio64 driver's usage of 24 bit color breaks the display
> completely.
>
> 2) VPC2007 emulates the keyboard and mouse as PS/2 devices. THis was
> not a problem until recently when the Linux kernel acquired a bug of
> sorts when it does not recognize the PS/2 mouse out of the box. No
> mouse means no install...

I don't use Microsoft products, including VPC2007, so this is a guess,
not a known working solution.

To avoid both of these, I would try a text only installation. At the
end of installation, before rebooting, I would edit /etc/inittab to
come up in run level 3 (no X).

You can then reboot, and use system-config-display to set up the
display. Once you have the display where you want it, and you are
comfortable that you can restart X multiple times, change the run
level to 5 if you like.

You can always boot into run level 3 by appending " 3" to the command
line in grub.