Upgrade 6 -> 7 not working.

Vivek J. Patankar vivek.patankar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 21:26:35 UTC 2007

fb wrote:
> I tryed to upgrade the fc6 with the Fedora 7 DVD.
> Installation menu offered the upgrade of the recent
> version on hda2, but after my choose that version I got an
> error message:
> Error mounting device hda2 as / : no such file or directory
> devices in /etc/fstab .
> Should be specified by label, not by device name.
> Click to reboot.
> What can I do?

You can do any of the below two things.

1. Boot with the rescue CD and change /dev/hdXX in /etc/fstab to /dev/sdXX.
2. Boot with the rescue CD and use 'e2label' to give each partition an
appropriate label. Then update /etc/fstab on the root partition with the
new labels in the format 'LABEL=<partition label>'

Also read section 5.3 of Fedora 7 release notes.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218