CentOS PPP

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Wed Sep 5 12:07:16 UTC 2007

Hello

I set up PPP earlier (dial in) to a Red Hat system. I did this:

 In /etc/inittab: S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty ttyS0 -x7 -D /dev/ttyS0
 kill -1 1

 In /etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config: /AutoPPP/ - * /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug modem crtscts

 In /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:
	fred * sanford *
	dick * vandyke *

 in options.ttyS0: 10.0.0.141:10.0.0.149

in /etc/sysctl.conf : net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
in /etc/sysconfig/network: NETWORKING=YES
and in /etc/ppp/options:lock
debug
dump
logfile /tmp/pppd_debug.log
noccp
nodeflate
proxyarp
silent

This worked. I believe I recorded everything I did. Then I tried this on a CentOS 4.5. It gets to "verifying user name and
password" but then never responds. Oh and yes I did try logging in with a regular hyperterm (non PPP) to be sure the login/pwd
combinations work, so that is not the problem. (Yes, they are something other then fred/sanford and dick/vandyke actually.
I just used those as an example).

Anyway I can't get in and I don't see anything in /var/log/messages (nor /tmp/pppd_debug.log).
Is there something I am missing? This is actually a disk replacement, so everything on the client side
of my dialup remains the same (number, login, password, etc).

Thanks