kernel panic

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:15:27 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>     The root is right and the kernel address is right.
>>> Uncompressing Linux is fine
>>>
>>> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=swap2)
>>>
>>> 6 lines of trash and then kernel panic.
>>>
>>>     I have already loaded a 386 fedora 7 on the computer and it loads
>>> without a problem. So the problem is that the copied version will not
>>> run in the new computer.
>>>

>> it's kind of difficult anyway to do remote debugging, it's even more so
>> when trying to work with paraphrased error messages.
>> If at all possible, please supply verbatim error messages, both log file
>> snippets and console messages.
>>
>    It's a problem because the problem is with another computer where it
> doesn't boot up :-)
>
> But I will try working with it from the Rescue disk and see if I can
> find the problem. The dam LABEL problem is a pain of huge proportions.
> The LABEL=swap2 was a second drive that no longer exists. I do love
> LABEL's.

You should be able to apply a label to whatever swap partition you have
on this machine with 'mkswap -L  ...'.  Just be sure to fix fstab if it
is using an existing label to reference it.

I'm surprised that not finding a swap partition to check for a resume
state would be a fatal error though.  If adding the label fixes it, you
should file a bug report.  Was the source machine cleanly shut down and
running from a live CD when you made the copy?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com