kernel panic

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Sep 5 20:31:57 UTC 2007

Karl Larsen wrote:

>>>    It's a problem because the problem is with another computer where
>>> it doesn't boot up :-)
>>>
>>> But I will try working with it from the Rescue disk and see if I can
>>> find the problem. The dam LABEL problem is a pain of huge
>>> proportions. The LABEL=swap2 was a second drive that no longer
>>> exists. I do love LABEL's.
>>
>> You should be able to apply a label to whatever swap partition you
>> have on this machine with 'mkswap -L  ...'.  Just be sure to fix
>> fstab if it is using an existing label to reference it.
>>
>> I'm surprised that not finding a swap partition to check for a resume
>> state would be a fatal error though.  If adding the label fixes it,
>> you should file a bug report.  Was the source machine cleanly shut
>> down and running from a live CD when you made the copy?
>>
> The line after resume devise may well be the clue I we need. It is:
>
> mount: Could not find filesystem 'dev/root"
>
> I'm not sure what /dev/root is. I for sure do not have a file system
> called /dev/root/. I will do some checking around. This looks to me
> like the problem.

    I found this on Google but it doesn't help me much:

echo "Loading scsi_mod module"
insmod /lib/scsi_mod.o
echo "Loading sd_mod module"
insmod /lib/sd_mod.o
echo "Loading cpqarray module"
insmod /lib/cpqarray.o
echo "Loading jbd module"
insmod /lib/jbd.o
echo "Loading ext3 module"
insmod /lib/ext3.o
mount -t proc /proc /proc
echo Mounting /proc filesystem
echo Creating root device
mkrootdev /dev/root

This seems to be where /dev/root comes from. And my kernel can't find it for some reason.

echo 0x0100 > /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
umount /proc
echo Mounting root filesystem
mount --ro -t ext3 /dev/root /sysroot
pivot_root /sysroot /sysroot/initrd