changing intrd

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Sep 5 23:16:02 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>    I read the man initrd and it said to make a new file for use you
>> do this:
>>
>> CONFIGURATION
>>       The /dev/initrd is a read-only block device assigned major
>> number 1 and
>>       minor number 250.  Typically /dev/initrd is  owned  by
>> root.disk  with
>>       mode  0400  (read  access  by root only).  If the Linux system
>> does not
>>       have /dev/initrd already created, it can be created with the
>> following
>>       commands:
>>
>>               mknod -m 400 /dev/initrd b 1 250
>>               chown root:disk /dev/initrd
>>       Also,  support  for  both "RAM disk" and "Initial RAM disk"
>> (e.g.  CON-
>>       FIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y ) support  must
>> be  com-
>>       piled  directly  into  the Linux kernel to use /dev/initrd.
>> When using
>>       /dev/initrd, the RAM disk driver cannot be loaded as a module.
>>

>>    Well I looked for /dev/initrd in this computer and there is none!
>> So I think the man page is wrong! Well this is it about for me. All
>> the Google data is for Red Hat 6.
>
> You don't need /dev/initrd - you need
> /boot/initrd-your-kernel-version.img as mentioned in grub.  man
> mkinitrd will show the command to build a new one and the only special
> trick is that you need to put the necessary but missing 'alias'
> entries in /etc/modprobe.conf first so it will include your driver
> modules in the new image.

    Well Les, I have no idea what Internet thing I have, no idea what
the sound card is called. So I deleted the ones from this computer. But
when mkintrd ran it said can't make it because it exists. So I deleted
the 2 in /boot. Then ran it and said "no modules available for this kernel".

    So guess I'm dead. we need a real F7 HowTo for this. It is now a
catch 22 thing.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User