kernel panic

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 00:27:08 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>     I have 2 gb of ram now and when I try to boot the copied Fedora 7 it
> errors out this way.
>
>     The root is right and the kernel address is right.
> Uncompressing Linux is fine
>
> Unable to access resume device (LABEL=swap2)
>
> 6 lines of trash and then kernel panic.
>
>     I have already loaded a 386 fedora 7 on the computer and it loads
> without a problem. So the problem is that the copied version will not
> run in the new computer.
>

> --
>
>         Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>         Linux User
>         #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>
> --

Just for clarification here, am I correct to assume the following?
1. You have an old computer with a working copy of F7.
2. You did a dd of that onto a new drive (using the Rescue CD as
previously discussed).
3. You put that new drive in a new computer but F7 will not boot from
that computer but it (the new drive) will boot in the old computer.

Is that correct?  Sorry but I wasn't clear on that from previous
threads.  Maybe others who've replied are so I may be asking useless
questions here.

If the steps above are correct:

What are the specs of the old computer (RAM, processor - i.e.
Intel/AMD with its speed and 32 or 64 bit, and hard drive - PATA/IDE
or SATA)?  What are the specs of the new computer?

If they are not correct, what are the correct steps (plus the info on
the RAM, processor, and hard drive - PATA/IDE or SATA)

I am not experienced in trouble shooting kernel panic. But I have a
feeling that those who are trying to help you may be missing some
important information to help you with this task.

Jacques B.