Successful install of Fedora7 in VPC2007 guest

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 22:53:01 UTC 2007

Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 17:15:56 +0930, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 07:02 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> I actually first tried that, logging in as myself. But when I wanted
>>> to edit grub.conf using the text editor it would not allow me and I
>>> could not see any way of starting the text editor with root privileges
>>> either.
>> You'd issue the command for it from within that command line interface.
>> That sort of thing (having a separate CLI window for root) is the usual
>> way of starting things with root privileges when you're logged in as
>> yourself.
>
> Then I have to know what command actually starts the GUI text editor,
> and I don't...

gedit &
for GNOME

or
kedit &
for KDE

I prefer the Norton commander type of program called midnight commander.
  You can install this program with yum within a root terminal with
yum install mc
After the program is installed, you can invoke the editor from the file
manager with the F4 key or run the editor directly with the command
mcedit /etc/grub.conf
Regarding nano, I found the wrapping feature on by default to be
distractive when editing config files. I think the nano editor is used
for CLI mail programs where the wrapping feature is advantageous. I had
to use it on some embedded systems which were pretty much restricted as
to what programs were avilable. (On 8MB flash)

> I used nano because that was the only one that I could start from the
> rescue console prompt when I tried to manually edit xorg.conf (see
> thread about editing xorg.conf).

I believe the wrapping feature should be off by default and if mail
programs need the wrapping, it could be toggled on. I doubt the editor
is used for mail in rescue mode.

> A good many years ago I tried to install RedHat (some early version)
> on a physical machine and was adviced to use vi as editor. Basically
> they gave me the command line to start vi with a file loaded, but
> forgot to say how one gets out again. Had to scrap that installation
> because when I switched off the PC (only way out I found) it corrupted
> the hard disk...
> So I am not very keen on command line editors, really.

I did not excel with vi usage myself. I found the insert mode a bit
cryptic. Mc was available back then also, so I used its built-in editor
since early RHL days. (5.2 and back in Slackware days)

> But being in a Virtual Machine with undo disks changes the game so I
> could try it out and for modifying xorg.conf nano worked all right.
> But that path was no good anyway as I later found out.
> The only procedure I have found thta *really* works is the one I
> listed. When I did it the final round I tokk about 40 screenshots as
> well for each en every step on the way. I intend to post directions
> somewhere so others may benefit.
> Note:
> It is only about getting Fedora7 on to a VPC2007 virtual machine!
>
> And I have my own machine running fine now so this discussion is
> really about the "best" way to do things. And I agree it would be
> safer to log on as the non-root user instead of root, just as long as
> grub.conf could be edited.
>
> Why is there not a graphic tool to configure the boot options?
> Such a tool should be very valuable especially if it could provide a
> list of all valid kernel parameters and what they accomplish....

There is a very limited program called-system-config-boot which allows
adjusting timeout and default kernel versions. I agree with you that a
kernel options configuration program would be a great asset for both
initial installation and post installation usage.

>>> Seems like the su in the command window is only valid inside the
>>> command window itself.
>> Correct.
>>
>>> Is there a way to start the text editor as root????
>> >From that CLI...  You've got a plethora of editors to call on, gedit,
>> pico, nano, vi, vim, gvim, emacs, joe, etc., depending on what you've
>> installed, of course.
>
> All are character based command window editors, I gather?

mc has menus with descriptions for function keys usage.

Jim

--
Lady Astor was giving a costume ball and Winston Churchill asked her
what disguise she would recommend for him.  She replied, "Why don't you